Please DO NOT join the community at this time. We will invite you to do so.
1. Knitters/Crocheters only, please.
2. Welcome to the SPLJ community! Before we are a secret pal swap, we are a community of folks who discuss various aspects of knitting/crochet, the swap, and our lives through community based questions and activities. We want this to be fun! And we hope you come away with a new friend or two from it.
3. This swap is invitation-only this round and will have a participant cap of 50. Past participants from any previous SPLJs are welcome so long as you left the swap in good standing. Participants of SPLJ4 will be invited automatically. If you did not participate in SPLJ4, but would like an invitation to participate in SPLJ5, please email SPLJmods (at) gmail (dot) com to request an invitation. If you have not participated previously, you will need the vouch of a previous SPLJer to be invited to swap. Please have your vouch contact the above email with your information to receive an invitation. All requests must be received by January 19, 2008. Invitations will be sent out after that date and the first 50 people to respond will be accepted. Please indicate if you would like to be wait-listed if you’re after the cut off. If a replacement is required, we will invite you to join the swap midway.
4. Be sure you can keep the commitment. Yes, things do happen unexpectedly, and we’re more than willing to work with you if something requires you pull out. However, if you feel like you may not be able to keep the full commitment at this time, please don’t sign up. It’s not fair to other Secret Pals who are keeping their commitment.
5. The commitment you are agreeing to is:
1. Participating in community activities regularly. (Not all, but more than 60%)
2. 3 gifts and 3 messages in 3 months, all packages must be received before the last day of that month.
3. Delivery confirmation or other tracking on each package sent. This number should be sent to your moderator when the package is sent, and must be received by the 25th of the month.
4. Your choice of spending limits: We will still have the two swap groups: $30 (traditional) or $50 (nontraditional) swaps. These limits are set for the length of the swap. Please join the swap appropriate for what you will spend. If you will spend $50, do not join the $30 swap.
5. 1 post a month to the community to acknowledge your SP’s generosity.
6. Updating your journal with public entries 2 times a month, before the 15th and 30th respectively. (That’s when we look for your public posts.)
7. Please keep the secret of who you are!
How you meet the requirements of the swap, or if you do more than the set minimum, is up to you. If you intend to do one large $30 package, please do something small for your pal during the other two months. The 3 packages must be sent through the mail, by you or a vendor. The messages can be email, postcard, whatever you choose, and should be in in addition to your gifts. Please remember that shipping is an expense on top of the gifts based on a poll back in SPLJ1. We do have international participants who need pals, and that may cost more. Please be sure you’re willing to pay for shipping to Australia before we assign you an Australian Pal. Because of the complexity of assigning pals out, we won’t be able to change pals after we start unless there is a very good reason to do so, and at the mod’s discretion.
Just as important as the gifts are the community activities, and the public posts. On a pragmatical level, the more your SP knows about you, the better they’ll do. Public thank yous let your pal know that your package arrived. On a community level, the more people get to know you, the closer a community we’ll have. And public thank yous will make your pal feel their effort on your package was definitely appreciated. Good feelings all around. If the last paragraph is not something you enjoy, this may not be a swap you’ll enjoy participating in.
6. Communicate with your pal yourself! The better you know them, the more spot on your secret pal gifts will be. Part of the beauty of this is that you get to lavish attention on a fellow knitter and have attention lavished on yourself! If there are problems, let us know, and we’ll step in. Otherwise, you should let your SP know that you’re running late this month, will be out of town incommunicado, or have received the package. Just follow the rules of common courtesy in life. (But remember to cc your mod on important communications.)
7. Delivery confirmation/tracking is now mandatory on your packages. If your delivery confirmation number is not received by your mod by the 25th of the month, you are at risk of being removed from the swap and replaced for the remaining time. If you do not send it yourself, tracking information from the vendor, or the emailed vendor receipt showing the recipient’s address, will be accepted as well. If you expect you will not be available via email for a period of time, please make sure that you have sent your tracking information/receipts before you go. If you do go away, and aren’t able to reach you about the package at that time, we will apply the rules as we would to anyone else. You will be removed from the swap, and a replacement assigned. We do understand life happens, and we will not automatically ban a participant if they are removed from a current swap because of this rule if extenuating circumstances exist.
We have made this change due to the issues of lateness in the previous swap. We feel that lateness, whether acknowledged in the community or not, make a swap a lot less fun for folks affected by them in the community. And a positive personal experience is key to creating a positive SP experience for the community.
8. Creating Drama within and about the community will result in your immediate removal from the swap, with apologies to your swap partners. With our focus on the community, we want it to be a positive and relaxing forum. If you have issues with the way we are running community and/or swap, please contact us backchannel via our emails, or at spljmods (at) gmail (dot) com. If you choose to create conflict via your public posts to your LJ, or within the comments in the community, you will be removed immediately. The swap is too short to do otherwise.